Do you support someone?
If the answer is yes who supports you?
Carers are people who provide help and support to a family member, friend or neighbour who cannot manage on their own due to physical or mental illness, disability, substance misuse or frailty brought on by old age. Carers can be any age (see our page for Young Carers).
Many Carers do not see themselves as Carers for different reasons. You may be looking after your:
- Husband, wife or partner
- Friend or neighbour
- Child with disabilities
Price’s Mill Surgery Carers Support Statement
If you are a Carer, you might find it difficult to access our services without extra support. If you identify yourself as a Carer we will endeavour to take the following steps to support you:
- Once you have completed the Carer’s Identification Form and returned it to us we will add you to our Carers Register so you can be easily identified and prioritised by our staff (please fill out the form in the Carers Support Pack - see below).
- Provide telephone appointments if caring responsibilities mean you cannot leave the person you care for at home or bring them with you to the surgery, and if necessary provide a home visit.
- Offer flexibility or priority on appointment times where possible.
- We will provide support for the person you care for in the waiting room if you need to bring them to the surgery but would like an appointment in private.
- We will provide a carers information folder in the waiting room with updated information about local Carers support services .
- We will provide you with an annual carers health and wellbeing check at your request (Please book at reception).
- We will invite you each autumn for a free flu vaccination.
- Discussing with you what you would like us to do in the event of you or the person you care for having a medical or other emergency.
- If you have given us permission we will pass your details to Gloucestershire Carers Hub where you can access support.
In some cases caring roles are full time and very demanding. We would like to support you in your caring role where we can. Caring should not be at the expense of your own health and wellbeing. Please tell us how your caring role is affecting you and if you have any support needs.
We will try to help you by:
- Respecting your privacy and confidentiality and conducting conversations of a personal nature in private.
- Discussing the benefits of appropriate information sharing with patients who need or may in future need care from a relative or friend.
- If the person you care for consents, we will share information about their condition and decisions about their care with you (please fill out the form in the Carers Support Pack - see below).
- Always listening to and respecting the information you give us about your caring role and the needs of the person you care for.
- Providing you with general information about health conditions when you ask for it when we do not have consent from the person you care for to share their personal information.
Our Carers Champion is: Sara Eckersall, Operations Manager
Please contact Sara if you have any queries about our support for Carers. She will be happy to help and will treat the conversation in strictest confidence.
Prices Mill Surgery Carers Support Pack
A form for informing us that you are a Carer is available in the Carers Support Pack. It can be downloaded by clicking on the link below. Please complete and return to Sara Eckersall, Carers Champion at Price's Mill Surgery.
Carers Support Pack
The Carers Support Pack also contains useful contact information both locally and nationally for groups and organisations offering support and advice to Carers.
Patient Data and the NHS
The NHS follows strict rules about how patient data can and cannot be used. For example, individuals can choose whether their confidential patient information is used for research and planning. Click here to download guidance to help Carers through the process of supporting someone they care for to make a decision about how their personal information is used.
Nailsworth Carers Group
Nailsworth Carers Group is a monthly group for people who live in Nailsworth and the surrounding area (Nailsworth, Minchinhampton, Woodchester, Horsley, Avening and Nympsfield). Meetings are held on the first Wednesday of the month from 2:30pm to 4:00pm. Meetings are held in the cafe at Wyevale Garden Centre on the Avening Road. All are welcome.
Gloucestershire Carers Hub
The Gloucestershire Carers Hub is commissioned by Gloucestershire County Council and NHS Gloucestershire Clinical Commissioning Group. They opened their service in April 2019 and have been supporting Carers, ever since.
Gloucestershire Carers Hub is part of the PeoplePlus group’s Independence services, which empowers people with a range of support needs to lead independent lives.
You can click on the link below to access the Gloucestershire Carers Hub website, which contains much useful information:
Gloucestershire Carers Hub can offer Carers a wide range of services:
- Information, advice and guidance
- Carers assessment and support planning
- Carers Emergency Scheme
- Carers Breaks
- Hospital and GP Liaison
- Positive Caring education and training
- Skills development, employment and training opportunities
- Carers emotional support and counselling
- Peer support and support groups
Further information for Carers can be found on the NHS Choices website.
If you are a Young Carer, visit our Young Carer’s page here.